1) Socialist Ideology among state workers in Conteporary Vietnam
2) Indigenous Rights and Social Science in the South Pacific
3) Self and Citizenship in Northern Ireland/Ulster
3) Political Identity and Political Modernity in Guadeloupe
5) Tax politics and the state of the state.
Part of my problem in academia gets back to being a little too academic in my choice of projects. I formalized my new Ph.D. plan today amidst a sea of pretense and pomp from unrelated sources. Too academic for academia, but just ridiculous enough for the labor movement (in Oregon), I’ll trudge on and try to avoid mirrors for a while. Teaching’s the only thing that feels quite right, but both academia and labor want more than that from me. Too bad I’m too hooked on DirectTV to downshift to a barista job; too bad I’m too experienced, I hope, for primitivist panaceas of the simple life. Only a teenager’d think there’s anything simple about living on $7/hour, aywho.
Did I mention that today sucks? At least I’m not Eliot Spitzer.